Thursday, September 2, 2010

What Will You Do?

Is your mind ever muddled with the "what ifs" in life? I have to be honest, things are going extremely well for John and me this fall. He was offered a job, my job is challenging me in new ways, and we added Scout to our family! And not to mention that we have incredible friends, a supportive family and our health.

In the midst of everything, I get caught up in the "what ifs" of transitioning away from where we are now to a new life in another city here in Texas (when we eventually make that move next summer). What if we don't find friends as good as the ones here? What if we aren't able to spend as much time together? What if we get in over our heads? Life is full of those silly questions, right?

I do truly believe that because of God's amazing love and protection, everything always works out just as it should. I also believe that setting and achieving goals help us renew our strength and focus on the here and now. With that said, it's time to set some goals, folks! Instead of focusing on results (lose weight - hello New Years Resolutions that NEVER come to fruition!), I want these goals to focus on the processes. At the end of the day, I might lose weight or be in better shape, but those things won't be the focus.

So, here we go!

1. Practice yoga 3 days/week now through the end of the year (Why? I feel my best when I devote time to my myself through yoga - it makes me stronger physically and emotionally. I can't explain it, you just have to try it out for yourself!)

2. Run a 10k (Why? I run 3-4 miles now, but for some reason, six miles seems SO much more difficult! I need to prove to myself that my body can go so much further than I think)

3. Learn to sew (Why? This is a talent I've been wanting to learn for a while! One of my best friends has agreed to teach me! Our first project is to make a quilt and donate it to the Children's Advocacy Center)

4. Read the Bible (Why? I'm embarrassed to say that I've never read the Bible front to back, and I know this is a spiritual journey I need to take)

5. No more cheese, no more desserts (Why? I know this resembles a new years resolution, but these are two of my biggest temptations when it comes to food, and this is more of a test of my willpower than anything. Besides, I hate a sugar crash, don't you?)

6. Juice everyday (Following Kris Carr's method of reducing one bad thing and increasing one good thing, I want to add a fresh glass of homemade juice to my diet everday. I don't use my juicer often enough, but I do know that I always feel so much better when I start my day with a green juice (if you're new to juicing and want to do this with me, start with a combination of apple and carrot - so yummy. If you want to try something bold, add kale, parsley and beets to that - seriously, so good!)

In an effort to not overwhelm myself, I'm sticking to this short list! I'll keep you updated on my progress! :)

What are some of your goals? How will you stick to them?

xoxo

No comments: