Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Pull Up A Chair

Let's talk food. The scrumptious, buttery variety that forces you to undo that top button, curse your skinny jeans and live (without complaint) in your yoga pants...

I live, love, breathe (and sometimes beg) for delicious food. When I have free time in my day, I tune into the Food Network, read cookbooks, research restaurants in my favorite cities and email people at Le Cordon Bleu to find out how I might become a student.. I'm serious.

So, it should be no surprise that on this typical Tuesday here in West Texas I made chicken pot pie with homemade biscuits. Nevermind that it's 95 degrees outside and no time of year for anyone in their right mind to be making chicken pot pie or be using an oven, for that matter. But here I stood over a hot stove, a perfect rue forming and biscuit dough thickening. I love food (did I already tell you that?) but the real reason I labored over a hot stove was because next week John and I celebrate 2 years of marriage and I remember him saying once that he really likes chicken pot pie... and so pot pie it was. On the big day we'll be in New York City. I'll swoon over a lovely dinner from the gourmet kitchen at Pastis and not think twice about my 2x4 kitchen at home. But tonight, just for tonight, I wanted to whip him up something special... something with homemade biscuits. They weren't just your typical biscuits, though, they were heart biscuits...


I just realized how unappealing this picture actually looks, but trust me, it was delicious! If it didn't come straight out of Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa Family Style cookbook, I would totally share the recipe. But, I will say if you have 2 1/2 sticks of butter in your fridge, you're on the right track ;).

I'll report back after our trip with lots of photos of our adventures!!

xoxo

No comments: