Friday, April 15, 2011

Food On The Go

I'm packing up for Boston today (YAY!) and whether it's normal or not, I'm already wondering what (healthy) food options will be near my connecting gates.

On my way home from Austin this week, I was pleasantly surprised to find a small container of hummus and pretzel bites at the Schlotzkys. That, along with a banana, certainly saved me a lot of unnecessary fat from the deli's sandwich options and held me over until I got home.

Here are some of my favorite travel snacks to avoid the unhealthy (and rather expensive) airport food:

1. Starbucks has a great instant oatmeal option, but you can save yourself some cash by taking your own packet of instant oatmeal, raw walnuts, dried cherries and chia seeds. Simply ask for a cup of hot water from Starbucks to "cook" it, and you're all set! My favorite instant oatmeal at the moment is Kashi GOLEAN hot cereal in Creamy Truly Vanilla. Yum!

2. Justin's Natural Maple Almond Butter mini packets. These are a perfect protein punch to have with a banana or to add to your cup of instant oats. Justin's has saved me on many a work trip when the healthy options just weren't available.

3. Amazing Grass - Amazing Meal Pom-Mango Infusion - this is packed with nutrients and is the perfect meal on the go. I take a shaker cup with me on longer work trips and add either almond milk or water to this and am good to go.

4. Raw walnuts and almonds mixed with raw seeds and dried cherries is always a favorite afternoon pick-me-up.

5. Fruit - Bananas and oranges are some great go-to options when you need a fix for the sweet tooth. Also, they're readily available in almost every airport stand.

And, finally, I always grab a huge bottle of water to take on the flight to ensure that I don't get dehydrated.

Happy travels! I'll be in touch once I return from Boston!

xoxo

No comments: